Happy International Clam Chowder Day!
Scoma’s started more than 50 years ago as a small coffee shop on the Wharf in San Francisco when Al and Joe Scoma had a vision when they spotted the six-stool local spot. They bought the shop and started providing local fishermen with hearty breakfasts before heading out on the water. When they started coming back in for a bite after a long day in the afternoons and evenings though- the Scoma brothers added some new dishes on the menu. And what is better after a cold day on the Bay than a hot cup of delicious chowder? And hence, Scoma’s was born. We hope you enjoy this recipe for our famous Clam Chowder!
Scoma’s Chowder Recipe
.5 lbs. frozen chopped sea clams
32 oz canned sea clams, strain and reserve juice
¼ cup yellow onion, medium dice
½ cup leeks (white only), medium dice
2 cups celery, medium dice
1qt clam Juice
1/8 tsp thyme, Dried
4 cups Russet potatoes, peeled & 3/8 inch cubed
2 cup half & half (depending on desired thickness)
2 cup rice oil
2-½ cup flour
1. Kill the flame. Slowly whisk the flour into the oil, until there are no lumps; usually about 5 minutes.
1. Place Frozen Clams and the juice only from canned clams in a blender and puree.
2. Transfer to a heavy stock pot and over medium/low heat add the clam juice, the celery, leeks, and the thyme, and cook for 1 to 1-½ hours.
3. Slowly whisk in all the roux in small batches to avoid lumps, bring back to a boil and then turn the pot OFF.
4. Add the potatoes, mix; (Takes about 5 minutes)
5. Add strained canned clams and mix them in as well.
6. Simmer until potatoes just begin to soften.
7. Add Half & Half and bring to a simmer.
8. Season with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
For the Scoma family, 2017 was a little brighter with you in it!
We Thank You for the opportunity to be a part of your family events, Corporate Dinners, Reunions, and Celebrations over the past year.
Stay tuned for more interesting offerings in 2018! This includes... Off-site Catering, Corporate Crab Feeds, On-Line Seafood Pier-to-Plate Market, Group Breakfast/Brunch options and more!
Please do not hesitate to contact our event coordinator at email@example.com for more immediate details. Happy New Year!
Let Scoma's Take the hassle out of your holiday! it doesn't get more Pier-to-Plate than this...
Scoma’s is now offering cooked crab to order and for pick up at the our Pier-To-Plate Market
located next to the restaurant. Just order online
, let the restaurant know what day, what time, and how many you’d like to pick up. Free parking when pickup!
Get your pre-orders in for the holidays and let Scoma’s do the rest!! We also provide “Crab Feed Kits
” that include fully cleaned & cracked the crab you bought, sauce, lemons, sourdough bread & bibs. See details on our market
All upcoming Christmas orders need to be made by 12/21 (Thursday), for Friday or Saturday pickup. Scoma’s is closed on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.