SCOMA’S LAZY MAN’S CIOPPINO
(Serves 4 – 6 people)
Prep time: 30-45 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic
1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
2 cups fish stock or clam juice
6 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
1 lb rock cod cut into 1″ cubes
1.5 lbs Manila clams
12oz prawns (deveined and peeled)
1 lb cooked crab meat
8oz bay shrimp
Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and cook garlic for one minute.
- Add the onions and let them sweat for two or three minutes.
- Turn heat to high and add the wine to deglaze. Cook for 2-3 minutes (or until reduced in half) then reduce heat to medium.
- Add fresh oregano and basil.
- Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add fish, shellfish, and shrimp meat.
- Bring the cioppino back to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until all the seafood is cooked.
- Add cooked crab meat.
- Thin the cioppino to your liking with fish stock or clam juice.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper.
- Serve in a large bowl with fresh sourdough bread and enjoy!
This dish is a natural with most kinds of pasta such as linguine, angel hair, fettuccini or penne.